Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Project: Market Bag

We are so over Winter! After yet another pile of snow (18"!), we are expecting a bunch more over the next few days. I feel like this will never end. I had been saving this post for warmer times but maybe this will help me get to Spring sooner.

My friend has a daughter the same age as mine. Both of our families go to the Farmers' Market every weekend. I feel like it's this little ritual we both do even though we live hours apart. When she made an adorable market bag for her daughter, I had to do the same. Last summer, Zadie was barely walking but every Saturday, she would somehow get to the kitchen and point up at our canvas bags and gesture very excitedly. She knew it was market day.

After compulsively buying a bunch of the Lizzie House fabric from the Red Letter Day collection (seen in this post), I decided to actually use it. I spent a few minutes searching around on the internet to find a pattern or a tutorial and after reading a few, just pulled something together. It was surprisingly easy and I finished during a nap (one of the very rare 3-hour naps). The handle is a wide grosgrain ribbon that had come tied around a pre-packaged gift of some sort. I also added that little pocket on the front.


"Not much longer now, my little Smurflings, not much longer now." That quote from a childhood favorite is something I say to myself (and unfortunately out loud a good bit) when there's a lot of waiting left to do but you need to be reminded that time will pass quickly. Spring will be here before we know it and we will be able to put vegetables in this little bag instead of random toys.


For more on Project: Project, read this post.

5 comments:

RheLynn said...

I love the hat - even more you got her to wear it without taking it off every 5 seconds! My LO hates anything on her head at all. teehee 'smurfling' ;)

Beth Lemon said...

Thanks! I wish I had made the hat. I got in on Etsy a while ago.
I'm lucky to have quite the little Princess with hats -- as long as you show her how she looks in the mirror, she loves it.

BeckyKay said...

I love that fabric you used for the bag! And your daughter's hat is just so sweet!

Kim Rakes said...

Super cute! I love the hat too, that is not a bad idea, we have a crocheted version, I will have to try and tackle it with fabric! One of the things on my spring to do list is make a library book tote, I love the fabric you chose for this one :)

Beth Lemon said...

Good idea on the library book tote! I will be keeping an eye on you for that one. Zadie is almost old enough to attend storytime (strict age of 2 or older enforced!).

That fabric is certainly hard to use. Good for hoarding, that's for sure.