Friday, June 18, 2010

New sewing machine . Husqvarna part II

As I mentioned the other day, I got a new sewing machine. I've actually had this lovely Husqvarna Viking Emerald 183 in my house and unpacked for a few weeks now. I've just been a little too afraid of it to dig right in. It's such an upgrade from my Huskystar 224 but it really was time for a change. The Huskystar is more of a beginner's machine. More like a Toyota Echo. The Emerald is like a Camry.

And here it is. This beast brings with it a huge learning curve. I haven't moved past straight sewing yet but I'm working on another pair of those sailor pants that Zadie loves so much. That means buttonholes.

I had a couple of issues with the reverse button. I used that feature on my old machine all the time to reinforce the first and last stitches of a seam. I was treating this one like that one but since it's electronic (it seems), it acts differently. I'm thinking I have the hang of it now.

I'll do a proper review of this machine later after I've spent some time with it. But it's beautiful and I already love it. There it is in its new home right next to the manual.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Do you use the Fix and Stop buttons?? It took a little getting used but they're lovely. It takes care of securing the beginning and end of stitches for you and works like a dream. Coming from my 40 year old Kenmore, this machine is quite the upgrade;)

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

I have a Huskystar too! And I want to upgrade to a slightly fancier machine as well. There are so many out there, and preference for one machine or another is quite personal. I'm going to do a little query among the readers of my blog to hear what they would recommend, I think! :) I do think the Huskystar does a rather good job for a beginners machine.

Beth Lemon said...

Yes, Nicole! I have loved my Huskystar. It's a hard worker and also very smooth. So far I'm really loving all the upgrades of this new machine and once I get it figured out, I'll never go back. One of the big reasons I chose Husqvarna again is because they're sold at my local quilt shop. I wanted to support a local business and they fix them there if they need servicing so that's a huge deal for me.

Katie, I have played around with the Fix button but not Stop yet. I'm not sure I completely get why you would use one over the other so I may email you after I play around with it a bit.

Nikole Sarvay said...

Eeek! It's beautiful! Looking forward to hearing more about it. Have fun!

iSew said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so excited for you. Did they offer classes where you bought it? I found that super helpful when I got my PFAFFs & my serger.

Beth Lemon said...

Yes, they do. Just not yet. I'm going to go in tomorrow and figure this out.
I'm doing something wrong I think.