Monday, March 16, 2009

Quilting Along . nicely

a blocks in a pile

I'm making great progress on the Quilt Along. For one thing, this is WAY easier than sewing a dress for a little girl. You get to cut with a rotary cutter and ruler and everything is straight. But at the same time, you have to be really precise or anything you do wrong will get magnified by the end -- this doesn't happen with clothing where one mistake is simply one mistake. (I'm in denial about the actual quilting part).

I got most of my pieces cut out and placed on the organizers. I didn't understand how directional prints would work in the quilt so I'm waiting to cut out the last two blocks until I'm a little less tired. I need to make a new cutting diagram because I'm not sure if more ladybug fabric is on the way. I'm also not sure If I will have enough of the apple print so I need to measure what I need and what I have a few more times before whacking into what's left.

Since I already bought a pattern from the Oh Fransson Etsy shop for Zadie's toddler bed quilt, I decided to make my organizers slightly more reusable. I used stickers for the numbers so that if I need to add more squares or use fewer, I can just switch out instead of getting confused (plus I hate my handwriting).

I love working on this. I think the fabrics have come together very nicely. But as you can see, I've already made some mistakes. I thought I was doing such a great job and I was all proud of myself. Then I ironed my seems open and realized that they didn't line up! Oh well.