Thursday, April 29, 2010

Project: Top Week Shirt Finished

I have finally completed my shirt for Top Week. I didn't think I'd actually be able to do it even though I had it mostly done last weekend. There was something bothering me about the collar but I just tacked it down on each side of the back closure and I think it works.

But here's the deal: It's too big. Don't you think? I altered the pattern I used to make this shirt (so much so that I don't even think alter is the word for it). The original faux silky shirt fits well but this shirt is hanging off of me way more than I'd like. I think it's because the knit is so fine that it has absolutely no structure. It's just pulling itself down.

Having learned from my first encounter with said pattern, I made the belt a good bit longer and also a little wider. It looks cute from the front but because of all the fabric I added to the back for the gathers, it looks awful. Bunchy bunchy.

I love the Heather Ross fabric I used for the top panel. It was lovely to work with and I still have a little bit of it left to hoard. I also liked working with the knit. You will no longer hear me complain about it. I'm good. I used a hook and eye to close it up at the top. I thought there was enough going on in the back so I didn't want to add a button.

More photos on flickr. More about changing a vintage pattern to fit my design here. And more about the fabric and inspiration here. How hilarious is it that without thinking about it, I am kinda in the same pose as the model in the ad up there in my first picture.

3 comments:

The Bookish Life said...

It's a gorgeous top. I love the fabrics and especially like the back. I wouldn't have even noticed the things you pointed out... Looks really great!

Christina said...

so cute! i love the back. It looks really good belted. I would have loved ti with a round collar, too. really feminine...
what state do you live in? that scenery thew me off :)

Beth Lemon said...

We live in WV.

And thanks so much for the good feedback. I think I'm going to put it in the dryer and see what happens...

What do you think?

Oh, and it does not look good in the back belted. It's very bunchy.